This tip is based on my observations during my short stay at Ahmedabad for 2 months. A bit longer tip but I have tried to put in all my observations. So here it goes:
1. Cleanliness: If you wish to see the real status of Swachh Bharat, visit the Ahmedabad Railway Station. It is super clean and the cleaning process goes on throughout the day. Platform no 1 is the cleanest.
2. Lifts and Bridges: This station is very well equipped with Lifts and bridges. The lifts are provided at Platform nos 1, 2, 3 and 4 which I noted. The bridges are wide and cover all the 10 Platforms. To be precise, the lifts are connected to the bridge towards Vadodara/Maninagar, opp to the AC waiting rooms on PF#1.
3. Bus connectivity: There is a BRTS(Janmarg) bus stop just outside the Railway Station. Do take a ride in these buses which are comfortable and very economical. Ahmedabad BRTS is one the most successful BRTS system in India. The following buses arrive/depart from the station:
-Bus No 2: Science City to Odhav Ring Road
-Bus No 8: ISCON to Naroda Dham
-Bus No 9: Vishwakarma College to Narol
-Bus No 101: RTO to Circular
Refer the Pic for more info.
There is a GSRTC bus station 200 meters away from the Station. To go to the GSRTC bus stop, move out through the first exit towards Maninagar and cross the road. If you are visiting Gandhinagar, take a GSRTC bus and deboard at Pathika Ashram Terminal which is the prime bus terminal of Gandhinagar.
4. Waiting Rooms: The Upper Class, Sleeper Class and Ladies waiting rooms are located close to the first bridge towards Maninagar. The Upper class waiting room is well maintained with ample charging points and good toilets.
5. Chemist/ Medical Kiosk: There is a Chemist shop at Platform no 1.
6. Food: Food is the only disappointment at Ahmedabad Railway Station. Each time I had food at ADI, i regretted it. I searched through the Platforms for the Idli stalls as mentioned in some other tips but couldn't find them.
7. Naming: Ahmedabad is commonly known as Kalupur Railway Station among locals and hence don't get confused. After my short stay, even I started referring to it as Kalupur.
8. Mobile Charging and WIFI: There is a Mobile Charging Unit on Platform no 1. Free(limited) WIFI is available at Ahmedabad railway(For 20 mins). For the detailed procedure to get connected to the WIFI, refer the pic.
9. Metre Gauge: Ahmedabad also provides MG train services. Do travel by the Metre Gauge trains to get a nostalgic feel. The Platform Nos 11 and 12 are reserved for metre gauge services.
10. Railfanning: Again, Kalupur is a great destination when it comes to railfanning. The heavy loaded freight action would be going on almost all the time. Equipped with Mails, Express Trains, Superfasts, Freights, DEMUs, MEMUs and Metre Gauge services, Ahmedabad is truly versatile in terms of Railfanning.
Have a safe trip everyone.