Part-2: Train spotting at Jaipur Junction and ride to Ujjain
Album link: click here
Part 1: /blog/post/2185540
24th December 2016:
The 2 days 1 night stay at Jaipur was very happening and eventful. On 24th after alighting from Mysore-Jaipur Express, we spent whole day visiting places like Birla Mandir, Hawa mahal, Jantar mantar and city palace before doing some handloom shopping at Johri bazaar. Just when the day was about to have a happy ending, anti climax struck when my phone screen got damaged at the security checking premises in railway station:(. It was a heart breaking moment for me as it is the go to device for any photographer to click some runtime captures which are not possible with professional DSLR. Adding salt to the wound, the particular day was 1st anniversary of my phone.
25th December 2016:
Majority of the day was spent visiting Jal mahal, Amber fort and Nahargarh fort. After trekking down the hill from Nahargarh fort, we reached station around 5PM. Stepping into the station, our bodies were tired and legs were getting numb, but the aura created by the chugging alcos and roaring EMDs which were spread throughout the station like confetti has re energized me completely. Me and my dad walked towards Bais Godam side of the station on platform 1 and occupied a bench. I was getting a very good view of trains entering from Durgapura side. Just when I was getting ready for photography, my attention diverted towards my dad, who was already involved in train watching.
During my childhood days back in my hometown Nellore, whenever possible, dad used to make out free time out of his busy schedule and used to take me to Penna river road bridge or Nellore railway station where we both used to sit on the bench and keep watching trains crossing our sight for hours. Those were the days where "eyes were the camera and brain was the memory card".
*back to Reality*
After watching him enjoying in his own zone, a sudden brain fade happened to me. Don't know whether what I did was right or wrong(it is up to you readers), I simply packed my camera and kept it in my bag. Now I was accompanying him in the old fashioned style of railfanning.
Now coming to the business, following were the spotting I could make before boarding 12974 Jaipur-Indore Express:
* LKO WDG4D 70555 was shunting 19711 Jaipur-Bhopal/Indore Express.
* Track on platform 3 was completely removed, owing to some works going on there.
* 5 hours late running 19408 Varanasi-Ahmedabad Express with its regular link VTA WDG3A arrived on platform 2.
* Single stack container with ABR WDG4 70148 in Short Hood Front mode towards Delhi side occupied platform 1.
* Both Varanasi-Ahmedabad Express and single stack container made simultaneous exit.
* 12465 Ranthambore Express arrived on platform 2 with BGKT WDP4 20090 in Loong Hood Front mode in lead.
* After the departure of Ranthmbore Express there was no significant action happening. Few locos like BGKT WDP4D 40094 and an Alco from NKJ shed were roaming through the station.
* 12196 Ajmer-Agra fort Intercity express arrived on platform 1 with ABR WDM3A 16607
* Right after the departure of Agra bound intercity, 12016 Ajmer-New Delhi Shatabdi express in ICF avataar with TKD WDM3A in lead occupied platform 1. EOG on rear side was on.
* Right at 6:10 PM 19711 Jaipur-Bhopal/Indore Express departed with RTM WDM3A
* Shatabdi departed after arrival of 14321 Ala Hazrat Express(via Bhildi) with IZN WDP4D 40131 arrived on platform 2.
* HWH WDM3A with mixed concor and BOXN rake occupied platform 1.
After the arrival of this freight rake, we decided to go out and have an early dinner. After having Jaipur famous Kachodi and Thali(dal, roti, rice, curd, aalo sabji and mutter curry) for dinner, we returned back to the station at 7:30 PM and headed towards clock room to collect our luggage. We then proceeded to waiting hall where my dad decided to sit and take rest till our train gets shunted on to the platform.
Meanwhile I decided to continue spotting trains:
* Delayed by 3 and half hours, 12413 Pooja Express arrived on to platform 1 with BGKT WDP4D 40088 in lead
* 19566 Dehradun-Okha Express with VTA alco in lead occupied platform 2.
* After the departure of Pooja Express, a BOXN rake led by SBI WDG4 in Long Hood Front mode occupied the platform.
Train No.: 12974
Meanwhile, announcement for 12974 Jaipur-Indore Express was made and platform 4 was dedicated. I slowly moved towards waiting hall and we both dragged our luggage on to platform 4. It was 8:45PM, all the passengers were eagerly waiting for the train and there were no signs of rake being shunted. Amidst all the happenings, came an announcement for the train with platform 5 dedicated. This announcement had little impact on the passengers but the follow up announcement: "Yaatriyon ke asuvidha ke liye khed hain" has created chaos. Me in my mind: "Arey yaar, asuvidha tho thumhara asuvidha wala announcement ne diya!!". Finally at 8:55PM BGKT WDP4D 40094 shunted the much awaited rake which was supposed to be boarded by us. The rake was standing in front of us, but everyone were waiting for doors to be opened. Exactly at 9:10PM doors were opened and we entered our coach S3. It was a 2010 made well maintained coach with charging ports available. Yet again, our side lower and side upper seats were on track side... Oh wait, it doesn't matter for a nocturnal ride right. After gaining a delay of 15 minutes at source itself we departed. There were only 25% passengers in my coach and the chart suggested that only 5-10 passengers would board at intermediate stops.
After departing from Durgapura, we decided to take rest so that we will be able to deal with another physically demanding day at offer. The run was very smooth, as there was no hindrance to my sleep. At 4:30 AM I observed that we were approaching Nagda Jn. Again after a brief nap I woke up at 5:15AM and we were cruising at decent pace. Meanwhile I asked my dad to wake up and started getting ready to alight at next stop Ujjain. We slowly skipped Shipra river and entered platform 1. Significant number of passengers alighted here and we made our way towards Retiring Room.